Understanding end-of-life wishes – a difficult but helpful conversation
Why talking matters
Sharing your wishes for end-of-life care can bring you closer to the people you love. It’s critically important. And, no matter how difficult, you can do it.
Consider the facts:
- 90% of people say that talking with their loved ones about end-of-life care is important. However, only 27% have actually done so.
- Source: The Conversation Project(2013)
- 60% of people say making sure their family is not burdened is extremely important.
- 56% have not communicated their end-of life wishes.
- Source: CA HealthCare Foundation (2012)
How to start?
Begin with small steps, introducing the conversation to your loved ones over time to ensure that you understand their wishes, and they in turn understand yours.